21 Feb Justin Lowry on the Changing of the Guard
Justin Lowry, Global Beta Advisors’ Chief Investment Officer, was recently published in WealthManagement.com’s ETF Market Trends and 2020 Outlook. In the article, entitled “Changing of the Guard,” Lowry examines the catalyst of the nation’s current bull market and compares it to the bull market of the late 90s.
A few points he touches on include:
- We’re now entering the eleventh year of the country’s longest ever bull market
- It has largely been powered by big tech names, specifically Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix, and Google
- During this period, the S&P 500 index has had an average annual return of 17.48%
- The big tech mentioned above has contributed 7.25% of those returns
- The dot com bubble bull market ran from January 1995 through December 1999
- It was also largely powered by big tech names, only that time they consisted of Microsoft, Intel, Cisco, and IBM
- While the S&P 500 index had an average annual return of 28.52% during that period, the big tech mentioned contributed 10.83% of those returns
Check out the full article here for comparison charts and Lowry’s predictions.